Taiwan

Taiwan
马来西亚华裔青年台湾观摩团Taiwan Kuanmootuan 2008

Friday, November 2, 2012

IMSMART 2012


                            ~ 1st attempt when see the sea, in Terengganu leh….~

International Marine Science and Maritime Technology Undergraduate Symposium (IMSMART 2012) is the name given. The 1st symposium I ever join for my course. 19-21 October 2012, total of 58 students and 1 lecturer went to IMSMART that hold in University Malaysia Terengganu (UMT). With an excited feeling, hope to get knowledge from IMSMART and get to know more people in maritime field. 3days before to UMT, our lecturer asked us to have some distribution for university as we sent biggest contingent to IMSMART programme. Got two choices: Oral Presentation and Poster Presentation. The scope is under4 main parts: Marine Sciences, Maritime Technology, Maritime Management and Nautical Sciences. I thought I just want to be a participant in beginning, but after think twice, I decided to take part in Poster Presentation, atleast  got a little bit distribution la. With the quick blink in my mind, I get the idea about Titanic incident. Within 3hours, I need to send an abstract about my topic for my lecturer, I decided to do about Ferry and boat crashed on Lamma Island that got a little bit similar to Titanic incident. What will come out for my poster with 1-day work?

~ Before depart to Terengganu, everybody with a wide-open-mouth ~

~ Our hostel at Scout Inn Resort ~

Oral Presentation
This is an international programme, many countries sent their students as well, while Malaysia students from UMK, UPNM, UMT, UNISZA, USIM, UKM, IIUM and others. There were many oral presentations from students, many knowledge I learnt from there, many more knowledge that we need to learn from them. It was really a new world for me, found that our maritime level still far behind from them. They are all final year students, they presented their final year project, while UPNM sent 2nd year students, we were just submit a simple case study. Wa, maybe we have to pay 10times harder to learn maritime knowledge. It was an open-eye event for me. When hearing to presentation for the whole day, and attending conference IMSMART, when chatting with friends, everybody talking about maritime things every momet, I felt like I’m the real sea people already. That was a really very nice moment, feels like studying in a maritime situation really make you think that “Yes, my dream comes true soon”, how good if everyday can study under such situation, quite challenging but its fine, I like it.

 ~ UMT Hall for whole programme ~

~ The moment Arif and Tom represent UPNM for Oral Presentation ~

Poster Presentation
Comes to Poster Presentation, is my part J After submit the abstract for my poster, I did some drafts for my poster. I don’t have any idea to do the poster, blank. For the 1st time need to do a poster individually was a hard time for me. After searching for software that suitable, I choose Microsoft Publisher to create my A2 size poster, pretty huge poster. In the poster must contain: Title, Objective, Methods, Results and Conclusion. I don’t have so much time to do the poster as many assignments and presentations are waiting me to do, I just briefly know the incident by externally. I completed my poster by 3am, and submit to my lecturer. My lecturer said OK, then I’m also OK la, last minutes work what. Luckily lecturer is a good person, she knows UPNM’s students don’t have transport, so she helped us to print out the A2 size poster.

~ My poster entitled: “Titanic Incident happen again on Lamma Island?” ~

This poster is about a Ferry and a boat crashed on Lamma Island, Hong Kong. Lamma IV sank after the accident like a titanic ship on 1 October 2012. And got stories inside this poster and I don’t want to do further explanations about this la J I met one gang of Chinese students from UMT who are taking Nautical Science course. Teng told me, when we sent our abstract, secretariat already see through all the titles. They found that my topic should be very interesting, so secretariat and the organizing team got do deep research about my topic. When they see my poster, my poster just shows a simple and external view about Lamma incident, didn’t do deep research about this at all. Can categorized as a fail project la. Oh my god. Students from UPNM sending posters about a simple case study, while the organizing team expect us to create something new from our research and found something different from our case study. We didn’t know J I just knew that actually I choose a right topic, an interesting topic but just need to find out something new or discover some secrets behind this incident. After this, I should do deeper research n this topic. ^.^

~ Presenting my poster  ~

~ People inside the exhibition room ~

After IMSMART, I get the lesson learnt. Haha. Through this programme, I also get to know some new friends. Is good to get friends in maritime field, so that can exchange notes, knowledge and experiences.

~ New friends from UMT ~ 

~ New Friends [ From right: Teng(UMT), Me, Mei Peng(UKM), Kevin(UPNM), Yalweis(UMT), Martadinata (Indonesia) ]

Ending of the programme, got a “Culture Night” for everyone. Yes, I’m so happy to join this event, was a right time to let me mix into maritime field. Hope next time can go for more maritime conference.

~ Culture Night Dinner ~

~ UPNM Contingent ~

Sunday night after culture night, when on the way we went back to UPNM, all ladies were arranged to sit in a van. Just started our journey not more than half an hour, tyre get flat. Oh my god, for the 1st time i'm sitting in a van until tire pancit. The van stopped immediately by the roadside. Plus raining that time, god also didn’t want to help us. I just felt that the god gave everybody a lesson for our trip. Actually got something not happy happen during this trip, “October Tragedy”. Aiya, just forget about it. After that, bus driver tried to change with spare tire, but the zag can’t carry up the van. So, the van was tow back to KL. Really was a terrible ending for our trip. Luckily nobody injured. 2am leave Terengganu, 8am just reached UPNM, and other friends reached UPNM later, by bus and another van and few by the towing truck. Finally everyone reached safely.

~ The tire in a terrible way ~

~ Even raining, guys had to gather their team energy to carry up the van to change tire. Thanks for thaeir kindly help, really appreciate it.~

More photos on >>>> FB

 ~ Classmates # Navy # PALAPES #Awam ~

 ~ Ladies # PALAPES #Awam ~

Written on 2 November 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...